THE FILL-A-BAG FOOD PARCEL PROJECT
At Brooklyn Methodist Church, well-designed food parcels with nutritional value are hand-packed by volunteers, then delivered and distributed to those most in need in the township of Mabopane by partnering NGO Lesedi La Batho.
What is a food parcel?
Facts about food parcels...
- A food parcel consists of long-lasting yet nutritional contents such as mielie meal, peanut butter, beans, samp, salt, sugar, powdered milk and soy meat.
- One food parcel costs about R160 / US$ 13 to put together.
- One food parcel can feed a family of 4 for one week.
- Many food parcels go to child-headed households.
- We currently distribute about 120 parcels a month.
How does it work?
The logistics in place...
- Individual donors, mostly from Brooklyn Methodist Church, fund the project.
- Lesedi La Batho receives the funding through its multiple payment systems in place, then provides the donor with a tax receipt, and directs the funding to FAB.
- Food is bought from Hyperland Silver Lakes in Pretoria, who provide best prices and free delivery.
- Volunteers at Brooklyn Methodist Church pack the food parcels.
- A logistics company delivers the parcels to Lesedi La Batho community centre in Mabopane for free.
- They are distributed to 7 high schools, where teachers and Lesedi staff identify the most needy families.
- The remaining parcels are distributed to other desperate community members identified by our social auxiliary workers, and some are kept at the centre for walk-ins and emergencies.
We have a dream to reach 500 food parcel distributions monthly - and you can help us! This life-saving project depends solely on the contributions of generous individuals, which are managed in an unashamedly ethical process to deliver the support directly to the homes who desperately need help. All contributions are tax-deductible to the donor. To donate directly to the project, or to download the pledge form to become a monthly donor, click below...
"For I was hungry and you gave me food; for I was thirsty and you gave me a drink;
for I was a stranger and you welcomed me."
- Matthew 25:35
Lesedi La Batho Community Centre | Since 2011 | NPC: 1995/007980/08 | NPO: 124-599 | PBO: MM/095/09/07 | Level 1 B-BBEE Contributor